Wednesday, April 14, 2010

An English Breakfast

I was in London over the weekend and my hotel came with breakfast. I arrived mid-morning on Saturday so on Sunday when I woke up, I called the restaurant to see how late they were serving breakfast.

After several rings, a girl answered the phone very politely. I asked her "How late do you serve breakfast?" And she said, "Do you wish to place an order?" I realized she thought I was asking for room service. So I corrected myself, "No, I want to come down to the restaurant. How late do you serve?" She said, "Just a moment, please" and placed me on hold.

Soon another pleasant female voice came on the line and said, "Good Morning Mrs. Williams. How can I help you?" I repeated my question about how late does the restaurant serve breakfast. Her reply: "Right. Well, we have a lovely hot buffet with everything you could wish for: bacon, sausages, eggs, mushrooms, hash browned potatoes, baked beans and toast. And on the cold buffet we have all sorts of cereals, fruit, cold meat, cheese and breakfast pastries. Is there anything else I can help you with?"

For the third time I found myself asking the exact same question, "How late do you serve breakfast?" I was beginning to wonder if we were speaking the same language which is often a joke between my brother-in-law and me that America and England are two people separated by the same language! But the third time seemed to be the charm because she answered "10:30 ma'am." And I thanked her and hung up. It was right out of a Monty Python skit. I kid you not! But the breakfast was exactly as she described.

I had a lovely, albeit, brief visit with nothing culinary exciting to report. Have a lovely Wednesday! I'm happy to be home!

No comments:

Post a Comment