Sunday, April 7, 2013

Pappardelle with Left Over Braised Lamb



So I had leftover braised lamb stew from Easter which I put into 2 separate quart sized freezer bags and wrote the date on them that I put them in the freezer.

Today, I took one of the bags and defrosted it while I got a large pot of fresh water on the boil.  I heated the large frying pan and added about 1 tablespoon of olive oil.  Then I added the defrosted braised lamb stew.  I removed the large potatoes and most of the carrots and used an emulsifier to pulverize them, then added them back to the sauce.  Meanwhile, I was cooking the pappardelle in salted, boiling water.  The sauce was a little too thick, so I added a couple of ladels of the pasta cooking water to thin it out.

I always follow package directions on the cooking times for pasta, usually removing it from the water about a minute early.  Using tongs, I add the pasta directly from the cooking water to the sauce and mix the sauce with it to coat it.  Then, turn off the heat, and add about 2 large handfuls of a good grated cheese such as Parmesan or Pecorino.  I prefer the Pecorino as it adds a very nice element to the lamb.  I also added some minced parsley.  Serve immediately.

The quart of pasta sauce made 6 servings of pasta.  And I still have another quart in the freezer for another 6 servings.  

No comments:

Post a Comment