Saturday, March 27, 2010

Fried Egg Panini - Saturday Brunch


I just made this and it is cooling on the counter. Although, I recommend eating it as soon as it comes out of the panini, it can be reheated on a low oven for about 10 minutes.

Use any bread you like. Today, I had leftover Olive and Rosemary bread which I sliced into 4 slices.

3 Eggs
Any kind of cheese you like (I usually use a very sharp aged cheddar, such as a Canadian Cheddar, but you can use any cheese, even a brie, or omit the cheese).
I also had some leftover mushrooms already sauteed, so I sliced those
And I used some leftover heirloom cherry tomatoes. The idea is you can use anything.
I also had some marinated cippriani onions, but you can use thin sliced red onions, or pickled onions.

I like to "fry" the eggs in a non stick pan, pre-heated and sprayed with an olive oil. Then add the eggs and fry both sides, salt and peppering them. When they are firm enough, remove from the pan.

Pre-heat your panini press and assemble the sandwich.

I used a layer of cheese for a "glue", added the mushrooms, onions and tomatoes, and placed the eggs on top. For 2 sandwiches, 1 egg each might not be enough, so that's why I make 3 eggs and cut the third egg in half to assemble on the sandwiches.

I add the eggs, then a few more slices of cheese on top as a glue, the final slice of bread and on the hot press for about 5 minutes.

This makes a great brunch for 2 in minutes.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment