Thursday, January 21, 2010

Juliane's German Risotto


Juliane ("Jules") made this risotto for her dad tonight. The consensus from both of them was, "It's good!" I asked Jules if I could post her recipe. From what I understand, this may have been translated a couple of times. I can't wait to try this myself. When I do make it, I will come back and give my comments.


5 1/2 c vegetable broth
1 small onion chopped
2 cloves of garlic chopped finely
4 tbsp olive oil
1 lb arborio rice
1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp of red pepper flakes
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
fresh basil cut into thin strips
1 cup shredded mozzarella

Heat the vegetable broth and set aside. In a large skillet, saute the onions and garlic in the olive oil until tender. Add the arborio rice and stir for about 2-3 minutes. Add the vegetable broth and let simmer on med to med high heat uncovered for about 10 to 15 minutes while occasionally stirring until fluid is mostly absorbed. Add the red pepper flakes,chopped tomatoes and brown sugar while stirring constantly. When the rice is tender and the fluid has been absorbed almost completely, mix in the parmesan cheese. Add sea salt and cracked pepper to taste. Just before serving add the strips of fresh basil. Spoon onto plates and top with the mozarella cheese and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment