Sunday, September 14, 2008

Steak for Susan




Susan and I were talking the other day, and I told her I could tell her how to make a perfect steak with a pan sauce and since she's an accountant, I have a simple way for her to remember each step. Simply 4+4+4+4. Or the square root of 16. Pretty simple? Well, here are the steps:




Use any steak that you prefer, such as a New York Strip, or Rib Eye or whatever. I prefer Fillet Mignon as it has the lowest fat content. I also take extra steps to cut out as much of the fat and sinew on the tenderloin before cutting it into generous steaks. (Then I use the rest of the loin for other recipes.) You don't have to be as thorough in removing the fat as a lot of it will cook out. Wash and pat dry the steaks with paper towels and sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper.




Step 1: 4


Heat a non-stick pan on the stove on medium-high heat for 4 minutes.




Step 2: 4


Place your steaks in the pan and make sure they are not touching. Do not be tempted to move them around. Just let them sit so they will form a crust.




Step 3: 4


Leave the steaks for 4 minutes, then turn them to cook on the other side for another 4 minutes...do not touch them.




Step 4: 4


Turn off the burner and place a loose piece of foil over the pan. Let the steaks sit for 4 more minutes. Then remove the steaks to a warm plate in a low oven while you make the pan sauce in the same pan.




Paul and I both love steak, but we like them served differently. The photo at the top of this post is how I love steak: a big piece with a quick blue cheese sauce and a vegetable, such as pan roasted asparagus.




Paul likes his sliced and I served his with the green peppercorn pan sauce in the next post. I also served his with seasoned shoestring french fries, a couple of pieces of pesto toast and some sauteed mushrooms.


No comments:

Post a Comment