Saturday, October 22, 2011

Eggplant Parmesan



I was at the Farmer's Market in South Pasadena on Thursday evening.  One of my favorite places.  I decided to make something I never made before by getting an inspiration from the produce.  So I picked up my usual large heirloom tomatoes, and a beautiful large eggplant.  The inspiration came to make an eggplant parmesan.  I am so glad I made that choice - it was delicious.

I made my usual tomato sauce with roasted garlic, the ripe tomatoes and basil in olive oil.  Seasoned it with chili pepper flakes and a good salt.


For the eggplant, first I peeled strips off the outside and cut into round quarter inch slices.  I placed the slices in a strainer and liberally sprinkled both sides with salt.  Place the strainer over a bowl or plate.  The salt will draw out the bitter juices from the seeds.  Leave there while you make the sauce.  Then rinse thoroughly and pat dry.  The next step made a big difference in the texture.  I heated a panini pan and brushed it with olive oil.  Then I placed the eggplant slices on it and cooked both sides.  Remove from the pan and salt and pepper each side.  Then I breaded it first in a light dusting of fine flour all over it, then in an egg wash (a lightly beaten egg with a little water), then into some Italian Panko bread crumbs, and into some hot peanut oil.

I also picked up some lamb sausage from my favorite Bistro, Nicole's, which is also at the Farmer's Market.  I cooked the sausages and sliced on a bias.  

To assemble the Parm, I used Raclette cheese that I also got at Nicole's and some smoked fontina, and of course grated parmesan cheese. Put a spoonful of the tomato sauce on the serving plate.  Then place one slice of the breaded eggplant on top of the sauce.  Layer with the raclette (you can use any melting cheese such as mozzarella).  Add another spoon of the sauce, a fresh basil leaf, a layer of the sausage and another layer of the eggplant.  Now a layer of the smoked fontina, another spoon of sauce and a generous sprinkling of the parmesan cheese.  Microwave the dish until the cheese is melted.  You can also place the whole thing into a casserole dish and place under the broiler for a few minutes. 


Serve and enjoy!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment